Every woman needs a good chick flick to stir up a few tears now and then. Even every guy needs to experience a good chick flick that gets him choked up. Sure, he’ll be looking around the room to make sure no one is looking, but chances are a chick flick is really good if it makes a man cry. However, what defines a chick flick? Most people define it as a sappy love story that women will love and men will hate.
Sometimes they make good date movies depending on the content and at other times the men hide in another room because they can’t stand all of the romantic talk and the “guy wants girl, girl shuns guy, guy aches for her, guy tries to woo her, girl still ignores him, girl finally realizes he’s the one, guy gets girl, and all is well.” Well, that is a general story line, but some feel that all chick flicks are the same. The thing is, that’s not true. Let’s look at 10 that have been rated as the top 10 chick flicks that will make you cry:
1. Gone with the Wind – Of course this one is going to be number one. Everyone is aware of this timeless classic of total girl power and love.
2. Beaches – This one really takes one for a loop. Barbara Hershey and Bette Midler make everyone want to call up their best friend just to tell them they love them. The storyline is compelling, the tale of two friends allows the viewer to relate to the characters, and the commitment is just overwhelming. The end gives you Goosebumps.
3. Fried Green Tomatoes – This one is not a sappy love story at all, but another movie about what constitutes true friendships. There apparently is something about a woman and her best friend. The story tells of two young friends and their trials as Cathy Bates makes a new friend in the present.
4. Steel Magnolias – Everyone is aware of Steel Magnolias because it was one of the greatest roles Julia Roberts ever took on. It does contain a little bit of a love story, but it is about friends, family, and their love for each other and how they will stand for each other. Of course, the ending when Julia Roberts’ character dies, the viewer is stricken with tears.
5. When Harry Met Sally- Now this one is a romantic comedy that will bring tears to your eyes. See, the sappy love story didn’t make it until number 5, so not all chick flicks are “guy gets the girl” movies. This movie is about friends of the opposite sex realizing love exists.
6. The Women- Here is another female bonding movie that shows friendship at its finest with a circle of friends supporting each other.
7. Grey Gardens- This chick flick gives a strange look into a very strange and very intense relationship between a mother and her daughter.
8. Sabrina- Now this is a “girl wants the guy” movie and even has Sabrina attempting suicide because she wants his love so bad.
9. The Valley of the Dolls – This movie has you captivated from the beginning. Patty Duke, Sharon Tate, and Barbara Parkins takes you on a journey of drugs, death, disease, and so much more.
10. Thelma and Louise – Of course this one can’t be left out with its tale of true female friendship. They love each other, protect each other, and they even die together.
It is not recommended that all of these movies be watched back-to-back. If they are, a special trip to the store may result in the purchase of a value pack of tissues to make it through. Whether you are into “girl power,” love stories, or true friendship, the top 10 movies has all of that for you.