So you've just got engaged! It's now time for the excitement to begin. You've got a wedding to plan! At this point you've probably got a lot of questions running through your mind. Where do you begin? What questions should I ask vendors? Where am I going to get the money? Wait, how much money are we talking about? On the contrast to what most couples believe, wedding planning can actually be fun. With proper planning and allocated time to complete it you can create your truly unique and exciting Chicago Wedding reception .
When it comes to the entertainment portion of your reception this should be treated with care as with all your other very important wedding details. The entertainment seems to be one of, if not the most important components to a reception. Sure, the food, decorations, and socialization are very important but without entertainment, these events would take on an entirely different personality.
For matters that are focused around the entertainment, or at least ones where it is responsible for a major role in the success or failure of the event, some serious considerations must be taken when hiring the right entertainment.
Will you find the right entertainment by hiring the one that answers the phone first or the one that has the lowest price or would you choose one just because they live in your hometown? These are actually some things you should consider before selecting your entertainer:
- Is the entertainer experienced in providing services for your event type? This question can not just be answered in a yes or no question either. You'll want someone who knows the ropes. How much experience do you want your entertainer to have? Consider getting a list of references from previous clients.
- Who will actually be the entertainer at your event? Often times with larger multi-operational companies you will not actually know who your entertainer is until that night. Is this something you're willing to accept? Always ask this question when shopping for entertainment and make sure it's laid out clear and concise in your contract.
- What type of equipment do you deserve to have at your event? Imagine not being able to understand announcements or even worse listening a hiss or buzz during your event. Imagine having part of your beautifully decorated event contain an eyesore of wires and beat up equipment. Another important face is just because an entertainer charges top dollar does not always mean that they'll bring top dollar equipment to your event. Getting a picture of their setup is a must!
- What additional services are included other than just playing music? Will you need a master of ceremonies (emcee) at your event, a coordinator, or even someone to interact and participate with your crowd? Is your entertainer willing to step up to the plate and deliver those services? These can be important things to ask before your event. You've hated to hire an entertainer who can not entertain.
- Is your entertainer and elegant public speaker? Do they speak in complete sentences without stuttering and using um and uh? Public speaking is said to be one of the number one fears in the United States. If someone is not good at speaking in person odds are they will not be able to speak in front of your crowd. This is a very important aspect of the entertainer can be over looked.
- Is backup equipment provided and immediately available? As you know all electronics are man-made and with all man-made products they can fail. So it's important that your entertainer has not only backup equipment but also a backup plan. Ask your entertainer for their backup plan.
- What happens if the entertainer is ill or otherwise can not attend your event? These details should be laid out in a written contract form with EVERY service provider. Always lay these things out prior to your event to prevent any situations later on.
- Is your entertainer insured? Every legitimate business has insurance. This may not seem important upfront, but heaven forbid something was to happen at your event. Are you willing to hire an entertainer without it? Ask your entertainer for his proof of property AND liability insurance.
- Are there any hidden additional charges or expected necessities from your entertainer? For example, are you required to pay a service charge for stairs at the reception hall? Or are you required to pay for their dinner? Will they need to take smoke breaks? If you're entertainer does not cover these issues in their sales pitch either you should ask them.
- How much input will you be able to give on your music selection? This can also be a very important question when you're shopping for entertainment. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences when it comes to music. Will your entertainer be able to cater to those tastes or will they stick to their own routine. Also does your entertainer offer online music planning?
With so much riding on the success of your event your entertainment should never be over looked. There should be several factors that come into play rather than just price when shopping for your wedding entertainment. Do not ever be afraid to ask questions as the entertainment will have a direct impact on the entire success of your reception.
Article written by Stevie Dee of Operation Getdown DJs.